LATEST UPDATE - Usk Gas Pipes Replacement Scheme
Published: 03 February 2018
Wales and West Utilities have advised Usk Town Council that letters are on the way to addresses throughout Usk with updates on the gas pipe replacement project and the new W & W Usk-specific website has now gone live too!
The link is http://wwutilities.co.uk/news-and-events/gas-pipe-upgrade-in-usk/ lots of useful information and answers to FAQs including information about bus services, HGVs and a compensation scheme for businesses on this page. W & W also have detailed maps on their website.
REPORTING QUERIES, ISSUES AND CONCERNS
If you have specific questions or concerns or you wish to report a problem you can make use of the W & W site office situated in the Grange (Conservative Club) car park where staff are available to talk to you directly.
OR CALL Scott Griffiths Wales and West Utilities Customer Support Officer for the Usk Project - 07976 854792
Main works start on Bridge Street on Monday 19th February
ONE WAY SYSTEMS, STREET CLOSURES AND TRAFFIC FLOW
Bridge Street will be closed to traffic
Stage 1 starting 19th Feb = Three Salmons / Porthycarne Street Corner to Usk Bridge end at Newmarket Street Junction. There will be pedestrian access on both sides. Individual businesses have been spoken to and individual arrangements will be in place for them for deliveries access etc.
Usk Bridge will be open for light traffic/ local access, but there will no through traffic or access for HGVs (7.5 T weight limit applies) - other than pre-arranged delivery access for deliveries within the town. Traffic will be diverted around the town via narrow side streets, delays are likely due to this so please heed these warnings and plan your journey accordingly.
We can now confirm that Mill Street WILL be part of a one-way system, with traffic flow from south (cricket field) to north (King’s Head) – as will Old Market Street, west (King’s Head) to east (Maryport Street.)
It is intended that Twyn Square will remain open – certainly during the phase one (Bridge Street from the top of New Market Street to Porthycarne Street) closure and as far as possible during the second phase closure (Bridge Street to Castle Parade), with plans to do this stage 2 stretch in two parts.
Both Castle Street and Maryport Street will be closed at the Bridge Street/Castle Parade ends, the one-way systems in both will be reversed and signalled ‘access only.’
Will be signed on existing ‘street furniture’ and coned at 3 metre intervals as follows:
- · The length of Chepstow Road (both sides)
- · Four Ash St. (both sides) – to Twyn Square
- · Priory St. and Church St. (Church side and One Stop side)
- · The spaces between the gaps in double yellow lines outside One Stop on Maryport St.
- · Castle Parade from opposite Castle St. to opposite Fire Station
- · Old Market St. from opposite Plas Mawr to opposite King’s Head
- · New Market St. from junction with Baron St. to the existing yellow lines opposite the Museum
- · Mill St. from opposite Mill St. Close to the existing yellow lines at the approach to Old Market St.
There may be other small sections designated clearways at times for access/deliveries but residents will be notified of these on an individual basis.
Usk Town Council will contact residents affected by the clearways prior to the start of phase one (19th Feb) with a view to offering advice and support to those adversely affected. Access for emergency vehicles, carers, deliveries, buses (school and public), waste management etc., will be maintained.
All the relevant companies/organisations have been advised and most have conducted test runs around the diversions without difficulty.
ADVANCE SIGNAGE OUTSIDE OF TOWN
Yellow Warning / Advisory Signs with the following wording – Road Closed from 19.02.18 for 12 weeks, 7.5t Weight Limit, Local Access Only, Businesses Open As Usual – in English and in Welsh are to be sited as follows:
- · In 3 places at the roundabout on the approach to Abergavenny
- · At the Steel Horse
- · At the roundabout in Raglan
- · On A472 at Usk Road junction, Porthycarne St and at the bridge
- · On A4042 either side of the Little Mill turn off and in 2 places at the New Inn roundabout
- · On A449 approaches from north and from south
- · At Caerleon, B4236 junction
Red Road Closed and Diversion signs will be in place around Usk when the main works start on 19th Feb